Thursday, August 5, 2010

Macapuno Pie with Langka




Just recently, cousin Cielo brought home three pieces of Macapuno given to her by a friend. They were sitting at the kitchen counter for a few days until I decided to break them open and do whatever I can with them.

I wanted to do a Minatamis but the Macapuno are too many for that so I instead opted to make Macapuno balls and made some into Macapuno pie.



Macapuno Balls

Ingredients:
1 nut Macapuno
1 can Condensed Milk
1/2 cup granulated sugar for rolling

Procedure:
Grate the Macapuno into shreds using the very Pinoy "pangkayod ng melon"
In a saucepan, mix the grated Macapuno meat and 1 can condensed milk.
Stir over low fire until you get the consisterncy of a yema, about close to 1 hour.
Allow to cool and form into balls.
Roll in granulated sugar.
Serve!

We feasted on the balls for a few days until we got tired of eating them. The next day I decided to make a macapuno pie out of the Macapuno yema leftover.

Macapumo Pie

Crust Ingredients:
1 cup flour, chilled
1 stick butter or margarine, chilled and cubed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/4 cup cold water

Procedure:
Since I don't have a mixer, I just put all ingredients together in a mixing bowl and crumble it all in my hands until i get a crumbly flour much like japanese breadcrumbs.

Then teaspoon by teaspoon I added cold water until the flour-butter mixture formed into a dough. I kneaded it a little and form it into a ball. I wrapped it in plastic and put in the ref for about 30 minutes.


After 30 minutes, I divided the dough into 2 for the bottom and top crust, rolled each ball of dough into thin sheets and place 1 sheet in a pan.

I filled the dough-lined pan with the Macapuno yema, halfway only coz I didn't have enough Macapuno left.

I covered the top with the other sheet of dough and sealed the edges by overlapping the bottom and top dough. I made some decorative edges using just my fingers. Then I brushed eggwash for a shiny finish when baked.I popped it in a 350F preheated oven and baked for 20 minutes. Voila! Macapuno Pie.
I topped it with Minatamis na Langka. I got the Langka from Nagcarlan, Laguna.





















2 comments:

  1. your pie looks delish... lalo na your home made shortcrust pastry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Beancounter. It really is...UBOS in a FLASH!

    ReplyDelete